Thursday, October 28, 2010

"Sarah Watson, a single woman."

Let it be legally disclosed that a single woman dares buy a home.

If you could read the fine print, you'd see the highlighted section reads as follows: "Buyer's vesting is hereby amended to read as follows: Sarah Watson, a single woman."

Frankly I don't like the judgmental tone.  I know I'm single.  It's bad enough that I get crap from my married friends.  I don't need my escrow company getting in on the action.  But this obnoxious bit of legalese got me thinking.  Actually, truth be told, it got me hyperventilating.  Can I really do this alone?  Mortgage payments, utilities, even the simple prospect of having to change out a lighting fixture has me freaking out.  Ordinarily when my house freakouts strike, I pour a glass of wine, turn on HGTV and take solace in the cool comfort that I'm not alone.  Everyone panics their first time around.  At least they do on "House Hunters", "House Hunters International", and "Property Virgins" (my three HGTV faves).  But after a few hours of watching televised property meltdowns I couldn't help but notice that the featured female home buyers all had one very special thing in common.  

Those bitches have husbands. 

Maybe it's just that couples make for better TV.  I'm sure that a scene of me alone and fetal on the floor clutching my escrow paperwork in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other doesn't pack quite the same punch as a good old fashioned husband/wife fight.  But I can't be the only single lady undertaking this terrifying endeavor alone.  Right?

Right?

Hello?

Is this thing on?

And so I bring you this blog.  I've never blogged before.  I might suck at it.  I also might suck at owning a home.  I guess we'll find out.

Despite the unavoidable "Sinlge Ladies" empowerment message, I promise to quote Beyonce as little as humanly possible.  Although in the interest of full disclosure I should admit that I will probably be humming that freakishly poignant yet otherwise annoying "Independent Woman" song of hers when I finally get the keys and carry my own ass across the threshold.

I close escrow on Tuesday.  So stay tuned...

-Sarah Watson
A Single Woman

6 comments:

  1. I've already determined that this will be my favorite blog.
    Don't let me down - I don't think I can take it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to be one of my heroes. And I'm psyched about this blog. And congrats on your pending homeownership! YAY for you! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my best girlfriends has her own blog and is quite proud of it as you should be of buying your own house as a single woman.
    That's remarkable!
    Think about you could rent out the rooms if you wanted companionship and make money in the meantime, you are that financially stable. I'll say it again darling, Anytime you want to trade lives... i'm game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time you started a blog. Great post! I'll be rooting for you... although by buying a house you're destroying my view of the starving writer trying to make it in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello fellow blogger!! Can't wait to see the new house in person and bake pies! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me share some good stuff with you on your beautiful blogs. I was able to purchase a property with help from Mr Pedro and his loan company team were quick to respond and since this was my first time getting a loan to buy a property , he was able to help me walk through the loan process. It was a great experience working with a good and kind loan lender. I hope you know very well if you are looking for a loan to purchase a property or funding business purposes then this message is for you will be able to help you with such a process here his details Email Address: pedroloanss@gmail.com & whatsapp text: +18632310632

    ReplyDelete